Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Have Dogs, Will Travel

Finally, by popular demand (really, people have asked for my tips!) I am starting my blog about camping with dogs.

So why the heck should you listen to me? Well, for those of you that don't know me, here's a bit of info about me:

Dog experience: I am a dog trainer and behavior counselor. I teach Classes at Trainers Academy, LLC in Metro-Detroit. As a matter of fact, I am a Certified Pet Dog Trainer (that means someone other than just my boss thinks I know a thing or two about dogs!). I also own an ex-racing greyhound and a galgo (Spanish Greyhound, which is similar, yet different, to our racing dogs here in the US). Prior to having children I fostered dogs as well. My last foster was a whippet that was placed a year ago and he also camped with us quite a bit.

Camper: I was a die-hard tent camper until almost three years ago. I thought campers and even air mattresses were for sissies. But then I realized I wanted to take my dogs absolutely everywhere I possibly could (I have literally been away from my dogs a total of 7 nights except for when I gave birth to my babies)... so I started looking for a "rolling crate". I wanted a pop-up, yet I was worried if my dogs got stressed that they would push out the sides (I have indeed seen this happen). Mark (my very tolerant husband) remembered that Apache made a hard-sided pop-up in the 70s, so we then went on a virtual treasure hunt for a hard-sided pop-up. Luckily for us, the Apache is like the Air Stream of the pop-up world... people are die-hard fans (check out Apachpopups.net). Also lucky for us, the Apache was manufactured in Michigan so we were able to locate a few in very good shape. The Apache Ramada we bought is in excellent shape... with interior decorating inspired by the Brady Bunch (but anyone who knows us, knows that this is a good thing). As our family grows we will eventually upgrade to a travel trailer, but we will never sell our Apache (pictured in this post)

How often do we camp? Every chance we get. We are pretty irritated that we weren't able to make it out in April. We are scheduled for the first weekend in May! Yay!

Where do we camp? We haven't made it out of Michigan yet, however Michigan itself is a huge range of seasons and temperatures.

And the number one reason you might listen to my advice? I have camped with my husband, two kids (ages 3 and 1) and two 70+ pound dogs (plus one little foster on occasion) in our little pop-up and lived to tell the tale. We have ALL lived to tell about it.

In the next few days I will introduce my dogs, telling you about their quirks (they all have 'em!) and share with you the equipment I love to take camping. Please feel free to leave comments with your tips too!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Yay! You have your camping dogs blog!! (This is actually the layout I originally started with until I did my banner and it didn't match anymore!!)